Carpet cleaning services is a $280 million industry in Australia and is comprised of a high number of small independent owner operators mainly due to the lack of proper regulation. Professional carpet cleaning services provide services such as steam cleaning, dry cleaning, upholstery cleaning and rug cleaning. It is inevitable that carpets get dirty, vacuuming helps to a certain extent however does not provide a deep enough clean to remove stain, allergens and bacteria lurking deep beneath fibres. The active cleaning agents in carpet cleaning contain some of the most toxic chemicals that are harmful to the human health; these chemicals can linger in the carpet long after cleaning and pollute indoor air quality.
It is important to ring around when obtaining professional carpet cleaning quotes, ask relevant questions to determine if true organic cleaning products are used.
- Determine whether plant based or synthetic chemical cleaning solutions are used.
- Is there a process to treat or transport wastewater responsibly after service? Wastewater and residue must not be discharged down the stormwater drain or onto the ground which can run off into waterways and cause major environmental consequences.
- Ask for a material safety data sheet for the cleaning products used. The MSDS contains valuable health hazard information, if a service is unable to provide you with this information, keep looking.
- Beware of greenwashing products and deceptive marketing attempts; products labelled with “eco-friendly”, “sustainable” and “green” may not be what they seem and are based on an unreasonably narrow set of attributes.
- Look for third-party certification. Good Environmental Choice Australia, Australian Certified Organic, Bio-Dynamic Research Institute and NASAA Certified Organic certification ensures that customers are not misled with clever labelling, the products offered are free from toxic chemicals and harmful carcinogens.